Tuesday, April 03, 2007

School Bus

Ok, OK, Let's start with the problem of the day. This blog thing may turn out to be good therapy for me.

Here it is............. I started to send the boys to the bus ALL BY THEMSELVES. This was a BIG thing for me. I am kind of what you would call an overprotective mama. A mama bird that may sit to close to my little birdies in the nest so to speak. BUT, I decided that it may be time for a little bit of freedom. So, I decided that the 5 house trek down the street should be left up to them. See, it's not cuz I am lazy, or don't want to go out in the cold. It just seemed like it was time. The other parents at the bus still stand and wave as the bus pulls away...seems like a complete waste of time when your computer is just sitting idle at home right? It just hit me, they walk home from the bus alone.....(of course I am watching out the door)

The first day was a RIOT. I told them to walk (quickly) but not run. Not unless you see the bus. And, when you get there stand way over by the curb and don't touch each other. Blake and Brett started the big excursion. They waited to cross the street for a good 3 houses. They both crossed at different times. One crossed, a car came. One started and ran back to the curb. My heart was pounding. The other one joined his brother and they very merrily ran to the stop. Yep, RAN. Oh yeah and Blake had to stop and sit down and start again like 3 times. I stood at the door and scratched my head and wondered why I thought this stress was necessary but decided it felt good at the same time. Which leads me today. The new rules were to cross right in front of our house and DONT RUN. So, They did. Crossed right in front. Blake ran for a good 2 1/2 houses while Brett held his ground and didn't fall into the sibling pressure. But, after he rounded the big house across the street, I had both boys running to the stop. Both had nodded when I said, "Don't run ok" ......I could barely see the busstop but I could see it good enough to make out that a blue coat kept hitting a red coat. Hmm. Those would be my children. Do I yell from 5+ houses down? Then, I saw Brett sit down. I didn't know if he sat down vouluntarily or if he was taken down by a blow from the arm of the blue jacket. The bus came and the boys loaded. Actually, what I thought was Brett's body was still there after the bus drove away. Maybe he didn't go down at all. Who knows. The lump of whatever it was is still there. I am assuming that if it was him he would of returned home by now, RIGHT? SO, you see my dilema.

Are they or are they not old enough for this kind of freedom? Is it them that may need some more time or me that needs to take a pill????

My new thought is too involve some sort of cold hard cash. Something BIG like a dime a day. I mean that adds up. Those little squirts could be sitting with umm...Not good at math...hold on...let me grab a calculator. What 2 bucks a month?? Wow, just for walking to the bus.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

You're too funny! I've found that some scary, threatening words and a little gore and some guilt sometimes help in these situations.

For example, I've used this line in the past, "Don't ever run in parking lots. The people in cars can't see little kids and you could be run over and squished and hit your head on the asphalt and then there would be blood coming out all over and it would be really horrible and I'd be so sad"

I know it sounds really blunt...but I think it works.

Keep in mind that since I'm a nurse my kids are a bit de-sensitized to some of this stuff. My sister thinks I'm crazy.

BTW, I don't see your counter??

jilldaisbrenne said...

That is true... I'm the sister, and I think she's crazy. Let's just hope that Will and Maddi grow up to use all Tammy's gore visulizations for something good and not sinister!

Good luck with the bus, boys!